I must admit, during my younger years, I thought that I could eat anything and not gain weight. Tube tops, mini skirts and like were my best friends! I can eat and drink whatever without gaining a single pound! I had no issues. None at all!
But when I reached my mid 20’s, truth be told, my metabolism decided to go on a hiatus! (Bad cheetah!)
I had to revisit my food choices, try all sorts of diet pills, skip family and school reunions, and change my wardrobe, which was the most painful part! (I will post a separate entry on my weight loss journey when I’ve mustered enough courage to show you guys my photos! hahaha)
Anyhoo, if you’ve known me for a couple of years now (or more), you’d know what I’m talking about. I gained weight like crazy and I was just nonchalant about it. I was like, “What the heck? I love food and food loves me back! I don’t care about my weight! Fuck it!”. This was my disposition until I heard a ton of comments from people around me.
There were times when I just wanted to give them a high five.. on the face.. with a chair! LOLx
But really, gaining weight isn’t easy, it makes you extra sensitive to the comments of the people around you and it makes you feel insecure. There I said it! *facepalm*
Nonetheless, these comments were my inspiration to step up my game and start researching for the best way to drop a few pounds! I wanted to lose weight for my own well-being, but of course, those negative comments gave me a nudge – nah, it wasn’t just a nudge, twas a hard push, actually! #letsbehonest
Here’s my list of “Things you should never say to someone battling weight loss”:
1. “Maganda ka na sana, kaya lang..” – Kaya lang ano? Fat does not equate to being ugly. Excuse me! Not because a person has put on some weight, eh pumangit na sya! I know a lot of girls on the heavy side who are really pretty, so please stop saying this! What the scale says does not equate to how ugly or beautiful a person is.
2. ” Di ka naman ganyan dati, ah…” – Hindi nga! Do we have to state the obvious? A change in a person’s physique does not necessarily mean that their personality has changed. Well, if you continue being nasty, we might change our mind and scratch you off our friend’s list.
3. “Hala! Anong nangyari sa’yo?” – Hala, nagka buntot ba, ko? Can someone fill me in on why most people would assume that the weight we gained was caused by an awful event, depressing break up, stress eating and the like?
4. “Wag ka kasing tamad!” – Uhmm, I have a job, I feed myself, pay for the roof over my head, pay my bills, pay my taxes, take care of my dog, etc. -> San tamad jan? Before you tell us that we’re just lazy, can you ask about our schedule first? Yes, I know that we should make time if we want to be fit, but sometimes, work (and a lot of things) gets in the way. We’ll try to do better next time and schedule a gym sesh, promise! #ikawnagymbuff #goodforyou
5. “Wow! Hiyang tayo, ah!” – Wow, payat mo, pero single ka pa ren? LOLx If we’re “hiyang” or happy because we’re in a relationship, eh ganun talaga! Not our problem if we have someone to stay with on Saturday night’s to Netflix and chill.. with Pizza, donut, etc! LOLx
6. “Baka naman nasa lahi niyo?” – Are you seriously going to drag my ancestors in this conversation? Can we leave them alone and let them rest in peace? Ipamulto kaya kita sa kanila?
7. “Rice ka kasi ng rice, eh!” – Kasama kita pati sa bahay? Buti alam mo? If you’re not around us 24/7, don’t go accusing us that we’re eating too much rice. You have no idea! We’ve been trying to avoid rice like a plague and eating veggies like a rabbit! #thestruggleisreal #walakangalam
8. “Baka naman buntis ka lang?” – Wow, OB ka? How insulting. We may joke around this comment at times, but it really is hurtful. Mapagkamalan ka ba naman na buntis habang nasa inuman? Guys, are you for realz? Anong comment yan? #invitekitasabinyag
9. “Napabayaan sa kusina, ah…” – Eh kung pabayaan kita jan, hanap ka ng ibang kausap? Pag tumaba napabayaan agad? Hindi ba pwedeng na alagaan instead of napabayaan?
And my favorite…….
10. “Sige ka, iwan ka ng boyfriend mo…” – Eh di iwan ko rin sya! Chos! Excuse me, not because we’ve put on some weight, exempted sila! Team work kaya, to! Hahaha But kidding aside, I don’t think that anyone should leave their partners because of weight gain. That’s just so babaw! If you’ve done that before, well… Ktnxbye!
So yeah, if there are other comments that you’ve heard before or want me to add here, please let me know. It would be fun to hear from you guys!
Bottom line is, If you really are a good friend, relative or co-worker, you should stay away from giving nasty remarks about weight gain. It’s not cool, not at all! It’s hurtful and it encourages us to be sarcastic! If you’ll say that it’s just our defence mechanism kicking in, well.. it is what it is. You can’t expect us to be just mum and be okay about it all the time. If you don’t want a never ending exchange of banter, don’t be a tactless b*tch!
Rather than putting people down, why not inspire and encourage us na lang, di ba?